Newmarket is a rural and beautiful place, surrounded by acres of heath land. As part of Jockey Club Estates who manage the heath we prioritise our environmental responsibilities and strive to incorporate sustainable principles within our business.
The Jockey Club has a “Green Champion” at each of our 15 racecourses and sites who works with the group’s Sustainability Executive to ensure that we implement steps to reduce our impact on the environment without affecting the quality of the customer experience.
The sustainability strategy is constantly evolving and we have a mixture of short and longer term objectives to help achieve our aims. Some of the objectives that we have already completed include:
- A decrease in annual energy consumption
- An increase in the proportion of waste recycled
- Use of “Free Cycle” to dispose of large items such as furniture to minimise land fill
- An extensive tree planting scheme
- A herb garden, for use in the racecourse kitchens, has been planted by our garden team
- Installation of a biomass boiler, fuelled by our sustainable woodland management scheme in 2013 now supplied hot water and heating for most of the building
- Incorporating environmental credentials in our procurement decisions
- A cycle to work scheme for our staff
- The Chef team source products locally where possible
We are always looking for ideas to reduce the impact of The Jockey Club Rooms on the local and wider environment. If you have any suggestions, we would be delighted to hear from you at email@example.com