The Jockey Club
The Jockey Club was founded in 1750 by a group of gentlemen brought together by a shared passion for horseracing. They were some of the most influential people in the country. Initially meeting in London at the Star and Garter in Pall Mall and also in St. James’ Street and Hyde Park, the Club soon relocated to Newmarket.
The first written reference to The Jockey Club came in Pond’s annually published racing ‘Kalendar’, which gave notice in April 1752 that there would be a race at Newmarket for ‘horses the Property of the Noblemen and Gentlemen belonging to The Jockey Club’.
In 1752, The Jockey Club leased a plot of land in Newmarket where a Coffee House was constructed in the High Street as a meeting place for its members. Soon The Jockey Club purchased the freehold, which became known as the Jockey Club Rooms, as it is today.
Today, operating under a modern corporate structure, The Jockey Club leads the investment and innovation in British racing, as the largest commercial group in the sport.
With a portfolio of 15 racecourses including Aintree, Epsom Downs and Newmarket, Jockey Club Racecourses is the largest racecourse group in the UK by turnover, attendances and contributions to prize money, with a focus on hosting the highest quality Flat, Jumps and All-Weather Track racing.